Once again, what was supposed to take a 3-minute test ended up taking hours thanks to a change between the Windows Phone 7.1 SDK and Windows Phone 8.0 SDK. After a few simple fixes, I decided to test my 7.1 app, SoundBook” on a real device after having it run successfully on the 7.1 and 8.0 emulators. When I tried to deploy, I was greeted with an unpleasant error message: “Installation of the application failed. Run time error has occurred. Fix the Capabilities in WMAppManifest.xml”. Hmm, an error message that actually seems helpful… After digging around, I was misled by a number of well-meaning but in the end time-wasting posts about how white spaces in the manifest file might be a problem, blah blah. I’ll save you the time: in my case, it was simply the “ID_CAP_CAMERA” capability, that appears to be deprecated and replaced with “ID_CAP_ISV_CAMERA” in the newer SDK. I’d included the camera capability because at one point during the original development, having only ID_CAP_MICROPHONE didn’t seem to work. I believe that may have been related to having a webcam/microphone combination on my development machine. Removing “ID_CAP_CAMERA” fixed the issue.